Monday, April 16, 2007

A Word to the Wise

I have finally reconciled myself to the place that I can talk about this.

Several weeks ago, I was in the Dollar Tree with the kids. I was just looking around and I remembered that I wanted to buy the Tylenol equivalent as I thought it might be a good idea to alternate that with the ibuprofen that I had at home.

I rarely ever take anything. I am of the mindset that when sick, it is better to let one's system go into overdrive to rid any illness than to cover it up with meds. Having said that, when I get a head-throbbing, cannot concentrate headache, I need to take something to get rid of it. I do not have the luxury of lying down until it passes. (and frankly, lying down usually does little more than make it worse!) So, while at the Dollar Tree, I grabbed a bottle of acetaminophen and brought it home, placing it in the linen closet.

A week ago this past Sunday, one of those headaches struck. I woke up with it. After a few hours of thinking it might go away on its own with no success, I grabbed the little box out of the closet and opened the bottle, mindlessly taking one of the pretty blue caplets.

After taking the pill, i noticed I was having a terrible time trying to stay awake. I did manage and as the headache subsided, then left. I forgot all about this.

Move ahead to Tuesday. We had to run to the city, and while there, we stopped at Carly's to drop off a dresser. I mentioned in passing that I had this annoying rash on my elbow that was driving me nuts. I also had little red pimply spots showing up on my body...mainly my extremities. Carly said she had hydro cortisone cream, but I told her that stuff never helps. She said she also had some Claritin that I might like to try as it sounded like an allergy. I thought a bit, then took one of the pills.

After taking one a day for three days, the rash finally quit appearing and by Friday, it was actually getting better.

I kept wondering what caused this rash, but couldn't think of anything. No new detergent. No new soap. Nothing new.

It was only a couple of days ago that I thought about that acetaminophen. I grabbed the bottle out of the closet and alas! It was a PM version with a sleep aid. I told Carly about it later and she went nuts! Right away, she KNEW that it contained the same substance that Benadryl contains. Huh? I have been allergic to Benadryl for many years! And, every time I tried to take it (only twice) I ended up with a terrible rash! The dosage for Benadryl is usually 50-100 mg. The pill I took only had 25 mg. Carly scolded that I should never take "that stuff" again.

So, from now on I will try to remember to READ the label....IE, I WILL take the reading glasses out and be assured I am buying what I *think* I am buying! And, I will order a medical alert tag saying that I am allergic to Diphendydramine AND penicillin.

So, as the saying goes, "read the labels"! Might I add, "know your enemies, as well"!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard somewhere that dollar store toothpastes have *way* more the amount of fluoride than we're supposed to have (as adults) because they're actually made in different countries. I don't know how true that is. So I wonder about the safety of dollar store acetaminophen and ibuprofen? I'm sorry that you're allergic to Benadryl. I took one of those every night from about 30 weeks of pregnancy onward because I had insomnia! LOL! :)

Katya said...

I had never imagined the concept of meds being manufactured in foreign countries, Lisanne! In light of the massive tragedy with pet foods, who's to say that anything coming off the boat from countries with less stringent standards than our own might not actually be *hazardous* to our health and well-being. I thought the bottle I purchased was manufactured in the US, but it really says that it was manufactured for a Bridgeport, CT company. It does NOT tell the country of origin. I hate it that we must all be suspicious and super slueths....I am not that way by nature and for me to change is so hard.
I knew I had an allergy to Benadryl, but I never knew its drug name. Can you imagine that? As I said, though, I rarely take anything, so I guess it was a honest mistake. I guess I need to realize that when it comes to allergies, I need to not be so casual and trusting of others. I have been practicing saying the word "Diphendydramine". What an awful word to remember! I am glad it was able to help you!

Denise in PA said...

WOW, glad everything is fine now! Kinda ironic to be allergic to an allergy medicine...don't you think? ;) If you read the super fine print most all the allergy meds say they cause rashes, hives, insomnia, and a whole bevy of other crap. I took mega doses of five different allergy meds in various "coctail" combinations when I had hives for NINE months. Be careful, Kae!