Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Great Weather Challenge

I have decided that living in the Northeast means that each and every day *is* a weather challenge! Especially this time of the year. The weather "turns the corner", so to speak, and everyone gets ready for the new season. Then....kaboom! The weather returns to its former state and we are left wondering....

Yesterday, I decided to return the large bag of soda cans and several smaller grocery bags of soda bottles and cans to the store. I crawled up into the truck, gathering them more towards the back so I could hop down onto the ground and grab them out. (I guess it is pertinent to mention that at five feet, one and one-half inches tall, it is a bit *hard* to reach things from our four wheel drive Silverado truck if items are not close to the back.) So....I hopped down after getting the bags readied, and walked about two feet from the truck towards a shopping cart to carry the bags.

Suddenly, this ***HUGE*** gust of wind (Mark, who was sitting inside the truck, called it a sudden hurricane-force wind!!!) caught the smaller bags and they were lifted into the air and sent sailing across the parking lot! I chased and caught up with two bags, but two others landed probably a good three hundred and five hundred feet from the truck. I felt so silly...I just took my two bags I had in my hands and walked back towards the truck. Ben had jumped out and raced after the farthest bag, then a young guy who works at Wegman's grabbed a shopping cart
(HOW did he just happen to have that cart right there?) and gathered the bottles and cans from the other bag. Within about, oh, five minutes, all of the bottles and cans were back in my possession. I thanked both Ben and the young man....profusely.....then headed into the bottle return area of Wegman's.

This morning, we are nineteen degrees with a bitter wind that would chill a snowman's heart! The forecast calls for one to two inches of accumulation (yes, of sn*w!!!!) AND 20 degrees below *normal* temps. Hmmm...so, what IS normal?

Well, no matter whether this weather is agreeable or not, we gotta take it!

4 comments:

Terri said...

Gotta love old man winters evil way of letting us know he's not quite done chilling our bones! Not! We had a few strong gusts yesterday here too. They were strange... just came outta the blue and then they were gone.

Anonymous said...

I know ~ and I thought that *Indiana* weather was crazy! hehe :) It's pretty chilly here right now, although not *too* bad. I opened a window for a while this morning, just to get some fresh air in. Easter should be warm and sunny! *sigh* I am *really* envious of your Wegmans stores ... wish we had those out here! :(

Denise in PA said...

I'm so glad you're having the same blasted weather that we are having. It was 12 degrees this morning and we ended up with about five inches of that crappy blasted white crap! Here's to better days! We actually had a huge argument at lunch today (at work) over the weather! I think we've all just about had it with Old Man Winter and his antics!

Anonymous said...

My girls are biTTerly disappoinTed ThaT They will have to wear Their coaTs over Their preTTy Easter dresses Sunday morning. And, I Think I will need to go buy a sweaTer and shoes for Laura To wear(her shoes are These cuTe liTTle eyeleT Things). Have you ever noTiced how many T's are in words?