Saturday, April 28, 2007

Vanilla, of Course!


I cannot tell you how thrilled I was to discover that I am not the *only* person who favors the flavor vanilla over chocolate! Lisanne, I have found out, loves vanilla, too! It just seems like so many people call themselves chocoholics, and I never quite understood what all the draw was to that "brown" flavor!
When Lisanne told me that she really enjoys a white cake with white frosting, I giggled, as I *always* am excited about my birthday, because I know what is coming down the pike....white cake with....you guessed it! White frosting! I made a cake a couple of weeks ago, but it was not "plain" white cake. Somewhere along the line, I saw a recipe for a "poke cake" that you use a fork to make holes in the cake and then drizzle jello over the top. I only had lime flavor jello, so it was kind of ho-hum. But, the frosting was a hit!
This "icing" recipe is one that my mom has used since before I was a teenager! It isn't so sugary it makes you want to gag, but it is a recipe that can be used for very special occasions!
*********************************************
French Creme Icing
1 cup milk
4 Tablespoons flour
Mix milk and flour well, then boil until thick. (My mom always used a Tupperware "shaker" to blend the milk and flour together. If these two ingredients are not well blended, the frosting will be a bit "lumpy"...like gravy! I would love to use an immersion blender for this, but mine is used for.....soap....)
Set this aside to completely cool.
Cream and beat well:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
Add the cooled milk and flour mixture, then 1 teaspoon vanilla (or twice as much if you are me!)
and beat until the mix is the consistency of whipped cream.
*********************************************
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it!

2 comments:

Terri said...

I would rather have white cake with white frosting and save the chocolate for candy. Of course there is something about a white poke cake, raspberry jello and chocolate coolwhip for frosting with some dark chocolate shaved on top and with a few fresh rapberries on the side *drool* Oops sorry for drooling in your comments *giggle* You can order a plain cake from most any store bakery and make it a poke cake while camping!! Saves turning on the oven in the camper and makes you one cool camp-person!

Denise in PA said...

That frosting recipe is the same one my Grandma used on her Red Velvet cake. Delicious! And, I just made a poke cake last weekend. I used an orange cake mix (Duncan Hines) and orange jello...and just simple Dream Whip for the frosting.