Thursday, August 10, 2006

Getting To Know You!



Blogging has become so much fun that I have begun to cherish these few minutes I have to myself to share a bit of my beloved Bristolwood! In the process, I have marveled at the beauty of some of the pictures I have seen others take as I look at their blogs. So, late last night, I went to Olympus.com and downloaded the manual for my camera. I have saved it to my desktop, so now I can look up info whenever I need to! (my camera didn't come with the complete manual...all 268 pages!)

I have now decided that perhaps my photos have been looking a bit faded and washed out. I read through part of the manual, learning about sharpness, contrast, and saturation and how to adjust the settings using the (gadzillion) buttons, bells, and whistles! Since I am a "hands on" type of learner, I have been *quizzing* myself...setting and resetting the controls! I didn't actually take many pictures as I was TRYING to make the changes in the settings become more "intuitive". Short of a brain transplant, I may not be able to retain all that I learn...I am so in awe of how Mark can read through an instuction manual and just do things. And, that is WHY he is a mechanical engineer who frequently inquires of me how to spell some of the simplest words!!
I spent every spare moment with my camera today, and I think I may be understanding it. Or, beginning to! I did a "retake" of the solar lamp, toad house, and coneflowers, and compared to the photo from a couple days ago, I think it is a much better exposure!

I completely forgot to finish my Scottie soap mold; I guess tomorrow is another day! Thankfully, I DID remember to fix dinner. It was tough, but I did do it!!!

This is my "science diet", because I really do have it down to a science! Takes about 45 minutes.

  • I preheat the grill
  • As grill preheats, I rush inside and cut a hunk off a head of cabbage. Then, grate the cabbage and carrots. (using large grater for capusta (cabbage) and smaller one for carrots)
  • The above takes about 5 minutes...at this point, put marinated (all day in fridge) chicken on grill on "high".
  • Run back into house and make the dressing for coleslaw.
  • Add dressing to slaw, then refrigerate. No need for plastic wrap....it needs to only chill
  • Run to the basement and grab that 5 pound bag of Bird's Eye green beans from Sam's. Take upstairs. Heat 1/2 stick of butter in 2 quart saucepan (I use Revere Ware) and then add garlic, or (if out of garlic) garlic powder. As soon as butter is melted and garlic stirred in, add green beans to pan, filling completely. Leave covered on stove on low until chicken is ready.
  • Turn chicken down to "low" setting and go sit for awhile!
  • When chicken is no longer pink, grab off grill onto serving plate, put beans in serving bowl, and grab coleslaw from fridge.
  • Watch everyone's face light up!!!!

While I was sposed to be "sitting", as noted above, I enjoyed my (prolific) cherry tomato plant. I love that plant, but hardly any of its offerings have made it past the porch. I grab them and eat them as they ripen!!! I have shared (a few) with Mark....

3 comments:

Becky said...

The pictures look terrific! I'm coming for dinner! LOL!

I should never have told the kids to try a tomato sandwich, they've been eating them every day, there goes all the tomatoes I am getting, LOL!

Katya said...

Oh, kids DO learn to love tomatoes, don't they? AND, if you want to try something that is really good, check this out....
Slice tomato and vidalia onion as finely as possible....When you make a grilled cheese sandwich, put these in and let the cheese melt really well....

Becky said...

Oh boy howdy! does that ever sound good, I think even I would eat that! Thanks Kae, I just picked a bunch too!