Saturday, May 12, 2007

More Geese!

Today, we took the kids to one of their favorite places...Darien Lake Park and Resort. I think that is the name now. It was previously Darien Lake Six Flags. Anyway, it is an amusement park, and the kids love it so! We left the house this morning around 9:30, thinking our lightweight sweaters and jackets would suffice. Brrrr! Were we ever WRONG!


As the kids raced from ride to ride, I sat out on benches, seeking some sun to warm my body! As we came to the end of our outing, I spotted two Canada Geese with their little ones near a small pond. I had left my new camera home as I was unsure how I was going to fare with a new medication I am taking. I did grab the Olympus, so I was able to get some pictures.




Although I only captured one adult goose in my pictures, there were indeed, two. I would love to know if the adults were the parents of the little ones. I am sure the female stays with her chicks, but I wonder if the male remains with the family as well. The goose that I pictured seemed rather at ease as I came within maybe six feet of them. The other goose, however, hissed at me a couple of times. SinceI have owned geese in the past, I do know to keep a respectable distance, and also when to retreat!







Aren't those goslings the cutest little babies? I so wanted to just touch one!!!

We ended our day at the park with Ben riding the "Superman". It is a rather (unnerving for me) large roller coaster that thrills kids to no end! On the way there, we passed some lilac bushes that called out to passers-by to come and smell them. They had a rather delicate lilac scent, and the color was so beautiful....

5 comments:

Carly B said...

I seem to recall that Canada Geese mate for life, and that both parents help in rearing the young...I think. Did any of you get sunburned today? I did! The entire left side of my face is glowing...I look like a lobster. :(

Marion McCready said...

nice pics, wish I was able to smell the lilac.

Katya said...

Carly, I looked up Canada Geese, and they do indeed stay together for life. I forgot that. Pretty cool the way they stay together like that isn't it?
Sorlil, I only wish I could have captured the scent of that Lilac...it was so wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I *loooooooooove* lilacs!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, Kae! You're awesome! :)

An Honest Man said...

The recent trip I was on passed through a nesting colony of eider ducks. The hens are incubating at the moment and stayed on their nests even though we were sometimes only inches away.

Devotion to duty or stupidity?