Wednesday, February 07, 2007

***Buns!***

OK, when you read the title, what were you thinking?

One of the great things about homeschooling is that school can take place at any time, and anywhere. So, on a day such as this, Michelle did a little lesson in home management, whipping up some delicious Macaroni and Cheese. (of course, this was *my* idea!)

This morning, I have no idea what got into me, but I found a little package of hamburger that needed to be used...so, the wheels went into overdrive, and I decided to look on the innernet for a hamburger/ hotdog bun recipe. This of course, led to another dilemma....did I have or NOT have some yeast? Hmmmm...I trudged to the basement and nearly fell into the chest freezer, diving deeply to find...YES! a bulk package of yeast I had purchased somewhere!

I took the package upstairs and tested it in some warm water with a bit of sugar thrown in. Yes, it did activate!

I fired up the Kitchen Aid mixer, and alas, the dough was ready. I set a few feet away from the woodstove, and it rose wonderfully well! Hurrah! Punched it down, let it rise once more, shaped the buns, covered them, then set them beneath the woodstove, as the fire had died back a good deal.

I baked the buns along with Michelle's terrific Mac and Cheese. The result was pretty cool! ALthough the buns were a bit "heavier" than the kind you buy at the grocery store, they were GOOD! Mark loves the "hard roll" buns, but these weren't that crusty and hard. I also put a slight dab of butter on the tops so they would stay soft.



As hamburger buns, and.....



As hotdog buns.

This was a very fun experiment, and the family all agrees they love these rolls!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cinnamon buns, no..really I did. It is almost time for dinner here and your dinner looks wonderful.