Monday, June 04, 2007

Allegany Pictures

This is the Stone Tower located in the Red House area of Allegany State Park. Ben overheard someone saying this structure was built over 100 years ago as a lookout for fires in the mountains.

Inside the Stone Tower.

Steps leading to the top of the Stone Tower.

It was drizzly and wet when I took this picture from atop the tower, but one can see that on a clearer day, it is possible to see for miles and miles!


Another view from the tower with the sky brightening up a bit! Vision was still somewhat limited.


As I was entering into one of my daydreaming states, admiring the beautiful scenery, I was rudely snapped to reality by the kids.....imploring I take *just* one picture of them......

As Ninjas, fighting atop the tower....and I thought *I* was the one with the vivid imagination?

As we were readying to leave the park, Mark pulled over onto a flat parking lot to make and adjustment to the hitch of the camper. As he and Ben worked, I grabbed the camera to take just a few parting shots. The above photo is a little island located in the Red House Lake.

Michelle standing on a beautifu pier made from stone for people to fish on the lake.

And lastly, a beautiful covered bridge located on one of the many bike paths located in the park.

Good bye, Allegany State Park. I do believe we will be returning once again to visit this stunningly beautiful gem!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, the Stone Tower was built for recreational use and not for looking for fires! The firetower was located on the cross country skiing trail and has been restored by the historical society. The Stone Tower structure was built in the 1930’s (sorry I don’t have the exact date at my finger tips) by the Civilian Conservation Corps. It is great to know that there are some Ninjas protecting the building (found you via an Allegany State Park search!

Katya said...

Oh, thank you! Gosh, I knew there was a firetower somewhere, but wasn't sure where! I looked online and couldn't find any info regarding the building of the tower Thanks again, and thanks for looking!
PS...I used those XC ski trails years and years ago when I was living in Randolph!

Marion McCready said...

Ha ha love the ninjas! Looks like a lovely place.