Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Some Signs Just Make You Think

When Mark and I were looking at land to build our house, we saw some rather humdrum as well as very interesting things. One of those *things* is located not too far from our home......

Being the owner of a somewhat large imagination, this sign made my mind race into high gear. I so enjoy living in the woods and the fact that there are many, many acres of state lands nearby is quite reassuring that the woods will remain woods! However, I also know that in this woods there are are bears, coyotes, foxes, deer, as well as *other* animals. My UPS man, Bob, said that a man only about eight or ten miles from here showed him a photo he took of a mountain lion chasing a deer.

Now that my imagination has been sufficiently (re)fueled, my mind carries me back more than 300 years ago (that sign says that LaSalle was in this neck of the woods in August of 1669)....I have forgotten to add that where we live, one must travel at least six miles to find food (albeit very limited to pizza, subs and chicken wings) or gasoline! So...I cannot even begin to imagine the state of this land as Monsieur LaSalle was exploring it! No fast food, no modern transportation, no GPS.....only woods, American Indians, and wild animals roaming about. I do know that if one became lost in this area now, there is a strong possiblity that they could freeze to death or starve, although there is enough farmland nearby that they might find an open field to be seen and recovered.

Enough of my imagination for now. I only hope I was able to "ignite" yours! I don't know if the springs there still *burn*, but if there was a small natural gas reserve, I suppose someone would have developed it long before this! There are, by the way, no gas wells located either in Bristol, nor any neighboring communities that I am aware of.

2 comments:

Carly B said...

I must admit, it did spark my imagination...remember in school they taught us to carefully read what we had written, lest the wrong idea be given... Well, the way the sign is written brought to mind LaSalle, ehem, uh, passing gas? Okay, so I have been spending way too much time with Kyle lately! I'm telling you, 14 year old boys cause brain damage...in their mothers. LOL!

Terri said...

I can so relate with Carly B. LOL He can be in school and I know he's up to no good(his goofing around makes my eye twitch!) . I've seen so many of those state markers that I've wanted to stop and read. Most are faded and can't be read from the road. I always wanted to be the person that traveled around the state to repaint them. Imagine the state history one could learn. I've seem 2 black panthers locally... come to find out they are normal in these parts. We had coyotes walking down the roads here in the trailer park about a month ago. It sort of freaks me out because we're so not rural here.